Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Are You CPR Certified?????

Well it was nice to have a three day weekend but I wasn't able to do anything that I really wanted to do, like work on the next kit, scrap stuff up for Clay's big day Friday, clean house (ok, this wasn't on my list), pack...this wasn't on my list either. However, I did have an eventful Monday. We were moving stuff around for a friend of mine and when we came back through town, I had to stop to feed the boys. I was pulling into Sonic and saw a lady lying on the ground, she had just bounced her face off the concrete when I drove past. I pulled around and parked on the other side. I saw her foot twitching so I thought she was having a seizure. I jumped out of the truck and when I checked her she had no pulse. No one else was certified in CPR so I started CPR. I worked on her for at least 4.5 to 5 minutes when the fire department showed up. They ended up taking her to the hospital and I turned to leave and noticed her husband standing there just lost. He wasn't from our area and I asked if he knew where the hospital was and he said no, then they put a baby in a carry all in the car and a four year old. I told him he could follow me to the hospital and I would sit in the ER waiting room with his girls. By the time we got to the hospital, she had a heartbeat and breathing. I was there with his girls for awhile and they were the sweetest things. When they were sending her for a CAT scan, the husband said he could handle the girls now because he had pulled himself together. We exchanged numbers and I left. At 10:30pm that night the police called me and told me to report to the station at 8am in the morning for questioning. I asked how she was doing and he said it didn't look good. I really thought that she would be okay because the CAT scan came back with nothing...no brain damage, heart damage, nothing. I showed up the next morning to find out that she had past away around 10:30pm. I felt horrible for the husband and her girls. It was really sad but I really thought she would make it.

When I began to perform CPR and no one was certified out of all those people, after it was all over I just wanted to go back to Sonic to tell them that they needed to have their staff certified because what if I hadn't been there. Even though she didn't make it, it still doesn't matter, more people need to get certified in CPR. I have been certified for many years now and this was the first time I had to use my training but even if you get certified and never use it....you may find one day that you needed to. So I would like to challenge all of you out there to get certified in CPR because you never know when someone's life may depend on it.

3 comments:

Ms Kittie said...

I am a child care provider and I am certified in adult and infant CPR. I believe every parent needs to be certified before they leave the hospital with their new baby. I have been certified for over 20 years and Thank the Lord that I haven't had to use it. I pat you on the back for trying to help that woman and her family. Prayers for her husband and girls. ((HUGS)) for you.

StarSraps said...

You did a good job and don't let yourself think for one minute that you could have done more. You did what you were supposed to do and you did it well. I know she didn't make it, but you still did something heroic & I am proud of you! I accept your challenge! I haven't had CPR training in years, but will find the time to take the class! I wish work would put one on actually. I just may ask about it!

StarSraps said...

UPDATE UR Blog Missie! Did you forget about us out here in blog land?? HEHE!!